[flashrom] ASUS A8N-VM CSM results (write/erase failed) / ASUS P2B-LS status?

Keith Hui buurin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 21:47:46 CEST 2010

> One note about the board testing Wiki page you may want to clarify:
>
> "To check if you can read the existing BIOS image from the chip, run flashrom
> -r backup.bin. Make sure that backup.bin contains a useful BIOS image. (Some
> chipsets will return 0xff for large areas of flash without any error
> messages.)"
>
> For a BIOS newbie like me, the remark in parenthesis doesn't tell much - is it
> a good or a bad sign if a chipset returns 0xff for large areas of flash
> without any error messages?  (Bad, I guess ;))

While booted with factory BIOS, make note of the BIOS version you
currently have. Compare the backup image with a copy downloaded from
ASUS. If they are mostly the same with only configuration store areas
differing, you should be fine.

---

By the way, what is the status of ASUS P2B-LS support? I reported here
earlier that the same support mechanisms for P2B-F also work for the
LS. And I have successfully flashed multiple times on a SST 39SF020
chip.

Thanks
Keith