[flashrom] HP Compaq dc7100 SFF

Michael Karcher flashrom at mkarcher.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jul 8 08:55:35 CEST 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 08.07.2010, 07:44 +0200 schrieb Mattias Mattsson:
> I'm using flashrom r1070 on a HP Compaq dc7100 (HP branded m/b) and
> the flash chip is not detected. It's a Winbond W39V040FAP.

The important part of flashrom output is

> BIOS Lock Enable: enabled, BIOS Write Enable: disabled, BIOS_CNTL is 0x2
> tried to set 0xdc to 0x3 on ICH6/ICH6R failed (WARNING ONLY)
> FAILED!

This means that the BIOS configured the chipset in a way that makes
probing/erasing/writing of the flash chip impossible for code running
normally on the system. The only way to reconfigure that would be from
the system management mode of the processor, a special mode that
executes BIOS code in a environment that is protected from the OS. The
only way of updating your BIOS in the current configuration would be
cooperating with the system management code through some vendor-specific
interface and have the system management code access the flash.

This kind of BIOS update is not what the flashrom project currently
supports, so on your system it seems you need the vendor tools, which
seems quite common on HP/Compaq systems. It might also be that there is
a "enable BIOS updates" option in your BIOS setup which is disabled. In
this case, please retry with that option enabled.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher