[flashrom] Intel SE440BX

Michael Karcher flashrom at mkarcher.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Fri Jul 16 09:18:55 CEST 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 15.07.2010, 12:51 +0200 schrieb Mattias Mattsson:
> I'm trying latest flashrom (r1082) an an Intel SE440BX. No flashchip
> is detected. I also tried to reuse the SE440BX-2 board enable but
> couldn't make it work.
The Intel SE440BX might be a quite frustrating experience, just as the
SE440BX-2. I took apart he SE440BX-2 BIOS in great detail, because it
uses a flash-from-SMM algorithm and thus the flash upgrade BIOS entries
(which are *also* Intel specific, and not the standard AWARD or AMI
ones!) just do some port access that traps to SMM via SMI. From insider
SMM I found which port is modified (a GPO of the PIIX4) and made a board
enable out of that, just to find out that the register seems to be write
protected outside of the system management mode, although the Intel
datasheet for the PIIX4 does not mention anything about
writeprotectability of the GPO register.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher