[flashrom] Flashing - Board Enable Needed

Michael Karcher flashrom at mkarcher.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 16 10:50:18 CEST 2010

Am Dienstag, den 15.06.2010, 22:05 -1000 schrieb Damon Andrew Keller:
> Let me get this right, did I just kill my server's BIOS by running this
> flashrom command?
It is very likely that nothing happened because your mainboard enables
the "write/erase protect" input of the board. If you have a backup of
your current BIOS (obtained with flashrom -r), try running "flashrom -v
bios.bin". If it outputs "VERIFIED" your BIOS contents is in fact
unchanged.

> I thought I was testing it out so that I can email you the data?
For testing a board without physical success, you can (almost) safely
run superiotool, lspci, and flashrom -V / flashrom -rV. flashrom -E and
flashrom -w are inherently dangerous, so run these commands only if you
have a recovery plan or know very well what you are doing.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher