[flashrom] DOS binary doesn't work?

max opendtv at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 00:04:26 CEST 2010

--- On Sun, 10/10/10, max <opendtv at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Anyone want to speculate why flashram can set the BIOS
> write enable bit under Linux but not DOS? Is Linux taking
> over SMI somehow, or is there some BIOS call which permits
> BIOS writing? Something else?

Some more info: tried two flavors of linux CDs with flashrom,

SystemRescueCD: works
GRML: can't enable writing (same as DOS)

Thinking it must have something to do with ACPI, I tried disabling ACPI with SystemRescueCD (tried acpi=off, acpi-off, and noacpi), but it still worked. However, I don't know how to verify that ACPI support was really disabled.

By the way, the master SMI enable can't be disabled; the BIOS locks it. Unless there is a way to generate a PCI reset without rebooting the system...

Thanks,
Dan