[flashrom] [VERIFY] Asus M2NPV-VM - ethernet MAC address changes

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Sun Sep 5 14:42:44 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:38:45PM +0300, Antti Palosaari wrote:
> Asus M2NPV-VM flashing works generally but there is small problem

Thanks for reporting. We marked the board as tested. I assume with
"flashing works" you mean that you successfully tried an erase and/or
write operation on that board (read/identify is not sufficient)?

> with integrated ethernet MAC address. My ethernet MAC address
> changed from 00:17:31:83:xx:xx to 00:04:0B:80:80:80. According to
> other report [1] looks like this problem relates to other Asus
> models too.

Yep, that's a general problem with various boards. Basically the BIOS
image contains the MAC address on some systems, and if you overwrite the
BIOS using flashrom that'll get overwritten. The vendor flashing tool
knows how to preserve the MAC address in the BIOS image, flashrom does
not have that (highly board-specific) functionality at this point.

Anyway, could you please post the following info for archival purposes:

 - ./flashrom -V -w foo.bin

 - lspci -nnvvvxxx

 - superiotool -deV

Thanks, Uwe.