[flashrom] Writing BIOS to General Electric CR11 single board computer

Razee, Robert G (DS-1) RRazee at drs-ds.com
Tue Apr 19 22:46:39 CEST 2011

Designation: Non-SSA/Finmeccanica

The only GE contact that was any help is based in Germany. Following is an excerpt from one of his e-mails:

regarding the bios programming issue we found an idea, which may be a good starting point for further evaluation at your side:

An alternative may be checking the Linux flashrom project, which is developed under GPL licensee and thus the source code has to be published if used. Please refer to the web-page: http://flashrom.org/flashrom . The             current flashrom.org version is 0.9.3, which should contain all source code parts needed for accessing the CR11 bios.

Please be aware that this web-page is an external non GE web-page and thus we are not responsible for this web-page and for the content of this web-page at all.

Next as I explained the AMI bios contains the SMI mechanism preventing any flash program accessing the bios flash. This includes determining the correct flash chip, reading, erasing and writing. However I tested with our very first bios prototype bios not containing this specific SMI mechanism and with this prototype bios the flashrom-SW worked well. We tested successfully, determining the flash chip, reading out the old bios code and           writing the current bios.

Please understand that this prototype bios was never delivered to any customer and only used for the very first board bring up in the design phase. So it is impossible delivering it to any customer.

In case you are writing new bios from the scratch the flashrom – tool may be a good help understanding the flash accessing mechanism. With the current bios releases from the CR11 it will not work.

Some information to the CR11:

-           Bios chip connected to the LPC bus of the ESB6300 Hence Rapid from Intel

-           Bios chip has so called FWH bus (firmware hub bus), which could be seen as specific LPC bus

-           Bios chip is the Silicon Storage SST49FL008A, which is supported by flashrom  flashchips.c

However please consider that regarding the Flash programming mechanism AMI may be the correct contact, since we do not have the details of the AMI tools (afudos.exe and so on), too. Regarding the ESB6300 from Intel, Intel may be the correct contact.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen - Best Regards

Dipl.-Ing.  Johannes Liegl

Technical Customer Service

Tel:         +49 821 5034 181