[flashrom] Difference of factory bios and dumped image

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Dec 31 11:39:07 CET 2011

Dear Parkash,

please do just send plain text messages to mailing lists [1]. Since you
are using KMail this should  be easily configurable.

Am Samstag, den 31.12.2011, 10:55 +0100 schrieb Prakash Punnoor:

> flashrom kind of works on my system, but not with the factory images. If I
> read it out with flashrom and write it back with flashrom (also to a different
> chip) it works. The sizes of factory and dumped image are same but they are
> somewhat binary different. Any idea? The motherboard is Abit A-S78H. As I am
> playing around with coreboot - so far unsuccessfully - I want to know whether
> flashrom is writing the generated image correctly... I can upload both images
> somewhere if interested. This is flashrom output on my system:
>

> flashrom v0.9.4-r1395 on Linux 3.2.0-rc7+ (x86_64), built with libpci 3.1.7,
> GCC 4.5.2, little endian
> flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org
>
> Calibrating delay loop... OK.
> Found chipset "AMD SB700/SB710/SB750/SB850". Enabling flash write... OK.
> This chipset supports the following protocols: LPC, FWH, SPI.
> Found Macronix flash chip "MX25L8005" (1024 kB, SPI) at physical address
> 0xfff00000.
> No operations were specified.

Unfortunately this question seems not be listed in the FAQ. Most of the
time some areas differ because the MAC address and other configuration
data of the downloaded images differs [2]. I hope you mean the
downloaded image by factory/vendor image.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Mailing_list_netiquette
[2] http://flashrom.org/IRC/Bot#.21macaddr