[flashrom] oops ! - everything went fine, until...

Jules Gosnell jules_gosnell at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 20 00:56:44 CET 2011

late night session...

feeling a little cavalier with some old hardware...

ran 'flashrom' - seemed to be happy...

made a backup of my existing bios - still happy...

wrote my new bios - flashrom reported job done no problems...still happy...

I reboot, kicking myself for hours of messing around with various
versions of windows trying and failing to update my bios that way...

suddenly - box NOT happy :-(

three short beeps, pause, three short beeps...

I power down, power up  - three short beeps repeating - argh !!!

M/B is/was? a Tyan Thunder, with a pair of old opterons on it.

New bios version, carefully hunted down online was - 2885V208.rom.

flashrom worked flawlessly, so no doubt this is pilot error - most
likely I have installed the wrong image.

Do I chuck the m/b and  get another on eBay, or is it salvageable ? I
think I saw someone online selling BIOS chips - maybe, if I knew which
chip it was, I could unplug mine and plug a new one in - if it's not all
soldered down...

I'm afraid I don't know much about BIOSes. They are not something I play
with every day. I was just trying to persuade my old box to see a new
2TB SATA drive so it could retire into my loft to run mythtvbackend...

any help appreciated,

regards.

Jules