[flashrom] Bios update problem

Bence Kovács bence.kovacs at generalmechatronics.com
Wed Jan 12 01:11:23 CET 2011

Dear,

I need help in the following:

I wanted to update my flash with a bitmap fullscreen logo.
The system runs ubuntu 10.04 with real-time rtai.

I red the flash with flashrom (attached: originalflash.bin) and copy
file to a windows PC.
(Reading flash completed successfully)

I run Award Bios editor 1.0, which successfully realized all
parameters of flash file.
I modified bios with a bitmap used CBROM196 (attached: modifiedflash.bin).
I run Award Bios editor, which realized valid the new flash file as well.

I tried to download the modified file, but got the messages bellow.

I red the flash out, checked with Award bios editor, and flash file
was the old one (originalflash.bin).
I downloaded originalflash.bin, and got the same message bellow. I red
out, checked with Award bios editor, and it was the old flash file
again (originalflash.bin).
Verify to originalflash.bin works as well.
It seems, that read works properly, and write does nothing.

But still, Im a bit afraid to restart the computer.
What do you thing? (I leave computer on until answer)

(Less important question: How should I modify flash? )

Thank you for help,

Bence Kovacs

generalmechatronics at generalmechatronics-desktop:~$ sudo flashrom -r
"originalflash.bin"
flashrom v0.9.1-r946
No coreboot table found.
Found chipset "Intel ICH6/ICH6R", enabling flash write... OK.
This chipset supports the following protocols: FWH.
Calibrating delay loop... OK.
Found chip "Winbond W39V040FA" (512 KB, FWH) at physical address 0xfff80000.
===
This flash part has status UNTESTED for operations: PROBE READ ERASE WRITE
Please email a report to flashrom at flashrom.org if any of the above operations
work correctly for you with this flash part. Please include the flashrom
output with the additional -V option for all operations you tested (-V, -rV,
-wV, -EV), and mention which mainboard or programmer you tested.
Thanks for your help!
===
Reading flash... done.
generalmechatronics at generalmechatronics-desktop:~$ sudo flashrom -w
"modifiedflash.bin"
flashrom v0.9.1-r946
No coreboot table found.
Found chipset "Intel ICH6/ICH6R", enabling flash write... OK.
This chipset supports the following protocols: FWH.
Calibrating delay loop... OK.
Found chip "Winbond W39V040FA" (512 KB, FWH) at physical address 0xfff80000.
===
This flash part has status UNTESTED for operations: PROBE READ ERASE WRITE
Please email a report to flashrom at flashrom.org if any of the above operations
work correctly for you with this flash part. Please include the flashrom
output with the additional -V option for all operations you tested (-V, -rV,
-wV, -EV), and mention which mainboard or programmer you tested.
Thanks for your help!
===
Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling checks.
Writing flash chip... Erasing flash chip... ERASE FAILED at
0x00000000! Expected=0xff, Read=0x49, failed byte count from
0x00000000-0x00000fff: 0x4ab
ERASE FAILED!
ERASE FAILED at 0x00000000! Expected=0xff, Read=0x49, failed byte
count from 0x00000000-0x0000ffff: 0xca1
ERASE FAILED!
ERASE FAILED at 0x00000000! Expected=0xff, Read=0x49, failed byte
count from 0x00000000-0x0007ffff: 0x65f4b
ERASE FAILED!
FAILED!
ERASE FAILED!
FAILED!
Your flash chip is in an unknown state.
Get help on IRC at irc.freenode.net (channel #flashrom) or
mail flashrom at flashrom.org!

A non-text attachment has been removed: originalflash.bin
It is available at http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=297
A non-text attachment has been removed: modifiedflash.bin
It is available at http://paste.flashrom.org/view.php?id=298