[flashrom] Report: Winbond W39V080FA -- success, mostly

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Jul 17 03:24:24 CEST 2011

hello michael and thanks for your report!

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 19:08:08 -0500
Michael Sternberg <sternberg at anl.gov> wrote:

> I'd like to report a couple of mixed cases for several nodes having a "Winbond W39V080FA" chip.
>
> First, I was using flashrom-v0.9.1. I had success with about 6 nodes, then the flash failed on the next two. The ERASE step succeeded, but the Programming step hung at address 0c0000. So far, I could recover one of the chips in another node (PLCC32 socket). I booted normally, then hot-swapped in the failed chip and was quite happy when a read succeeded using a newly installed  flashrom v0.9.3-r1299 (from Fedora EPEL).  Re-flash then succeeded for this chip as well. I could not find a significant difference between the nodes that succeeded and those that did not. They started with the same BIOS, but the CMOS may have differed. I then continued with flashrom v0.9.3-r1299 for more nodes and did not have a failure so far (ran on 8 nodes).
>
> I realize that the thin statistics alone do not support declaring full success, but hope that the evidently changed write regime (erase/write is now interleaved) has done the trick.

since none failed with the newer version, i think it is safe to declare
it as working until further notice.

> 0.9.1 SUCCESS LOG

wow, that's ancient! :)

> flashrom v0.9.3-r1299 on Linux 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 (x86_64), built with libpci 3.1.7, GCC 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-50), little endian
> flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org
>
> Calibrating delay loop... OS timer resolution is 1 usecs, 2664M loops per second, 10 myus = 10 us, 100 myus = 101 us, 1000 myus = 1000 us, 10000 myus = 10001 us, 4 myus = 4 us, OK.
> Initializing internal programmer
> No coreboot table found.
> DMI string system-manufacturer: "Supermicro"
> DMI string system-product-name: "X7DBT"
> DMI string system-version: "0123456789"
> DMI string baseboard-manufacturer: "Supermicro"
> DMI string baseboard-product-name: "X7DBT"
> DMI string baseboard-version: "PCB Version"
> DMI string chassis-type: "Other"
> Found chipset "Intel 631xESB/632xESB/3100", enabling flash write... chipset PCI ID is 8086:2670,

i would like to mark your board as supported. the dmi data indicates
that is a this board:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5000P/X7DBT.cfm
there are similar boards which may have the same signature, especially
this one:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5000P/X7DBT-INF.cfm

can you please state the exact model of the board(s) you have tested?

> This flash part has status UNTESTED for operations: WRITE

i have marked it as fully tested now.

> Unlocking block at 0x0
> Unlocking block at 0x10000
> Unlocking block at 0x20000
> Unlocking block at 0x30000
> Unlocking block at 0x40000
> Unlocking block at 0x50000
> Unlocking block at 0x60000
> Unlocking block at 0x70000
> Unlocking block at 0x80000
> Unlocking block at 0x90000
> Unlocking block at 0xa0000
> Unlocking block at 0xb0000
> Unlocking block at 0xc0000
> Unlocking block at 0xd0000
> Unlocking block at 0xe0000
> Unlocking block at 0xf0000

i have also changed the format of this messages to use 32 bits/8
characters.