[flashrom] Intel MBD question

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jun 20 21:56:19 CEST 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:05:24 +0200
Ian Whitfield <whitfield at telkomsa.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have recently built a new Computer with an Intel DG41WV MBD. This has
> an 82G41 BIOS chip and a GMA X4500 video chip. My Operating System is
> Linux Mint 10 KDE.
>
> I have problems with the screen display not refreshing correctly leaving
> part of the old screen still showing. Forcing a refresh by moving the
> window off screen and back again cures this.
>
> Therefore I am wanting to update the BIOS to see if this will correct
> the problem. From recommendations on the Ubuntu Form it has been
> recommended that I use Flashrom to do this. However I can find no
> reference to either this Intel MBD or the Chipsets on your site.
>
> Can you please advise me on whether these are supported with Flashrom
> and if necessary recommend the correct method to do this.

hello ian!

please (try to) follow the section "Installation from source" on
http://www.flashrom.org/Downloads
this is required because the version of flashrom shipped with ubuntu is
currently outdated and may not be safe to use with that mainboard.

after you have managed to build a flashrom binary from source please
run "sudo ./flashrom -V" in the directory you have built it and attach
the output of that to a mail and send it again to us. i can then tell
you if your board will probably work. it uses an ICH7 southbridge so i
am quite optimistic about it though.