[flashrom] Intel H57 chipset (untested) and W25Q64 flash -V output

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Nov 26 23:42:44 CET 2011

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 17:10:21 +0100
Pontus Rodling <frigolit at frigolit.net> wrote:

> 0x5C: 0x05ff0001 (FREG2: Management Engine)
> 0x00001000-0x005fffff is locked

Hello Pontus,

thanks for your report!

The problem is the locked ME region as quoted above and mentioned by
david before. We are working on unlocking it, but intel does not provide
us any documentation so please do not expect a real solution soon. The
workaround used in chromiumos' version of flashrom is to not touch the
locked region at all. But since it contains another hunk of the
firmware it might brick a board when one updates the bios, but not the
ME region. We do not know if this might really be the case, but i would
not want to try it without a safety net.

I have added the board (MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E)) to our list of
(un)supported boards (with an appropriate note) and will commit that
later together with other small changes.