[flashrom] Flashrom report

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Oct 27 10:43:53 CEST 2011

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:17:23 +0200
Piotr Czepek <piotr.czepek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I tried to re-flash VIA Epia mb with flashrom.
> Chipset is marked as untested, so I attached report for you.
>
> Just for test - I read flash image to file and I wrote it back.
> After reboot system is alive, so I think flasrom works fine with this mb ;)

Hello Piotr,

Thanks for your effort!
If you look at the end of your write log you will see a lot of address
ranges followed by an 'S'. This indicates that flashrom has detected
that the current content already matches the data to write and *S*kips
that range. Naturally in your case it skips the whole image and hence
the log is no proof of erase + write working correctly.
If you have means to recover a failed write (or an UPS and some
patience) or if you are brave enough you can try to first erase the
chip with -E and write the backup image afterwards like you did
already. I have no experience with the VIA chips you have, so i can't
say if it is fairly safe or not (i guess so).
If that would be my productive machine i would not try it... some
glitch can always occur...