[flashrom] ASUS P4XP-X

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Fri Sep 2 18:38:51 CEST 2011

Op 2-9-2011 14:01, Patrick Welche schreef:
> Is there a newbies list?

Not that I know of. Most developer lists tolerate non-developer input to
a certain degree, or flat out ignore messages. Don't hesitate to ask, it
might keep people sharp :)

> I thought I would attempt to upgrade the firmware of a SiI3124 SATALink
> PCI card plugged into a P4XP-X motherboard. Stage one seems to be to run
> flashrom -V (attached). It seems that P4XP-X isn't listed in flashrom -L,
> so maybe I could "test" somehow?

Likely flashrom defaults to a single device with ROM, instead of
mentioning every device with a ROM, or accepting input for all of them
(say, 6 Intel network cards each in their own PCI-express slot), and
user wanting to flash them simultaneously.

> How can I probe for the sata card?

You'll need to indicate the specific programmer you want to use, in this
case your sata card. Something like
flashrom -p:satasii

(the manual is located well-hidden on flashrom.org pages at:
[ http://flashrom.org/trac/flashrom/browser/trunk/flashrom.8 ])

> On another computer with an intel board, the intel supplied bios executable
> contains EV0482C.BIO and EV0482C.ITK. .BIO seems promising as "BIOS", but
> the .ITK looks as though it contains all the strings - presumably both
> files are necessary for an upgrade?

That's hard to say. You'd have to use your Intel reference flash tool
while removing EV0482C.BIN. Basicly then you're testing if your BIO file
can work standalone using the flashing tool. If it works, great. If it
fails, Flashrom might be in trouble also, depending on if the file is
required by Intel flash program, or if the BIO file won't run in
cooperation with flashrom program at all.

If the ITK file contains all strings, then it means either the BIO file
contains no strings (they're patched in by bios flash program) or the
BIO file contains default strings which can be optionally localized by
the ITK file.

You'll just have to try, but it would be very wise to have a spare BIOS
chip available with a known working BIOS on it, before experimenting