[flashrom] SUCCESS: MX25L1605 on Thinkpad X60s [was: FAILED]

Motiejus Jakštys desired.mta at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 21:59:34 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 06:56:14PM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Hi!
>
> ..the important part being Current BUC.TS=1 on the last line, and
> you've followed the steps carefully, then you should reboot now and
> let your machine run coreboot for the first time! :)

Hi,
indeed it worked! Computer is now booted from SeaBios. :)

> There is one comment to make, the dd commands I wrote in that email
> can not be copypasted into the shell, the sizeof() part in particular
> requires manually inserting the size of the coreboot.rom file into
> the command. If you didn't do this then please go back into the
> coreboot directory, rm -rf build, and start over with the dd commands
> on a freshly built coreboot.rom file.

Besides these changes, there is another one.. A typo:

Instead of:

then run dd if=coreboot.rom bs=1 \
 skip=$[sizeof(coreboot.rom) - 0x10000] count=64k | hexdump

Should be:
then run dd if=coreboot.rom bs=1 \
 skip=$[sizeof(coreboot.rom) - 0x20000] count=64k | hexdump

However, there are two caveats:

1) major one. There is silent squeeking which is heard from the fan
slot. It gives me head pain after seconds. The only way to stop it
seems to be to give processor some activity (when I start programs, use
dd or cpuburn it stops. Immediately when activity finishes the sound is
heard once again).

1) booting Linux from USB stick takes for ever. (loading kernel and
initrd takes >10 minutes). However, USB performance is fine when booted
from hard drive.

I suspect these things are SeaBios related and I should write there?

Thanks again,
Motiejus