[flashrom] SUCCESS: MX25L1605 on Thinkpad X60s [was: FAILED]

Motiejus Jakštys desired.mta at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 23:26:36 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:30:24PM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Motiejus Jakštys wrote:
> > indeed it worked! Computer is now booted from SeaBios. :)
>
> Great! Please make sure to also follow the remaining steps, in
> particular to re-set BUC.TS back to 0, and it's also good to flash a
> new coreboot.rom.
>
> An unpatched flashrom should succeed without any errors when the
> machine runs coreboot.

Yes, it flashed fine. There is still a minor disturbance, though:
tp_smapi does not recognize my TP. But whatever, I can live with that.

> Because the CPU switches very frequently between different
> performance states the audible noise is heard constantly, except
> when the CPU remains fully used.
>
> I have a 2.0 GHz CPU, but I must limit this to 996 MHz in order to
> not have the machine overheat during use. This is the same for me
> regardless of which firmware is used, happens both with factory BIOS
> and coreboot+SeaBIOS.
>
> In my start scripts I have:
>
> cd /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq && {
>         echo userspace > scaling_governor
>         echo 996000 > scaling_max_freq
> }
>
> This of course helps compensate for the shorter battery runtime with
> idle=halt.

Slightly off-topic, but please forgive us. This worked for me:
processor.max_cstate=2 in kernel boot line (Squeeze). From [1].

> Now, there is also a possibility that coreboot can do something to
> work around this situation, similarly to what the factory BIOS
> obviously does, since the noise is not present there, but this has
> not been researched.

Probably power saving was disabled in original BIOS. I got this computer
used and somehow didn't check it, was too hurry to flash to coreboot.

> I'm glad to hear that it works for you!

Thanks a lot for your help. :)

Motiejus

[1]: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Talk:Problem_with_high_pitch_noises