[flashrom] AMD SB7xx/SB8xx w/IMC: enable specs

Joshua Roys roysjosh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 19:03:05 CET 2012

On 12/30/2011 07:42 AM, Rudolf Marek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know bit more about IMC now (I did some research in this direction).
>
>> 8. Do some IO:
>
> I know what it is. It is mailbox interface to the firmware. I described
> that here: http://www.coreboot.org/AMD_IMC the 0x3e base is set in LDN9
> as mailbox base. You should obtain this address from the LDN9.

Nicely done!

>> 8.a. Write 0x82 to 0x003E
>> 8.b. Write 0x00 to 0x003F
>> 8.c. Write 0x83 to 0x003E
>> 8.d. Write 0xB4 to 0x003F
>
> Are you sure the 0x00 goes to 82? and B4 goes to 83? While analyzing the
> firmware I think it was vice-versa. I can recheck this.

I'm fairly certain that is correct for the firmware I'm looking at.
0x00 to 0x82 is not an argument to the "send IMC command" function; it
is hard-coded as the second step of the function after checking the IMC
present/active bit.

>> 8.e. Write 0x84 to 0x003E
>> 8.f. Write 0x00 to 0x003F
>> 8.g. Write 0x80 to 0x003E
>> 8.h. Write 0x96 to 0x003F
>
> The command is 0x96 which means go to sleep. You should check in 0x82
> for 0xfa maybe? It means firmware acked command.
>
>> 12. Set bit 0 in SMBus/ACPI register 79 (00:14.00[79])
>> 13. Set bit 6 in Isa_Misc
>
> Hm the bit6 is documented in SB600 and it shhould be used only if PCI
> bus is used instead of flash.?

I haven't the foggiest idea.  Maybe it was slightly re-tasked to enable
writes to "things that aren't internal/BIOS" flash?

Josh