[flashrom] [RFC] Does code implementing support for non-flash EEPROMs belong to 'flashrom'?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jan 31 08:10:00 CET 2012

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 18:55:43 -0800
Andrey Smirnov <andrey.smirnov at convergeddevices.com> wrote:

> Hell everybody,
>
> I'm working with a board that has a ST
> M95320-R(http://www.st.com/internet/mcu/product/113067.jsp) EEPROM chip
> that works as a NVM for a Gigabit Ethernet card. This chip supports very
> basic subset of instructions (read/write, write enable/disable,
> read/write status word). Right now, in order to write the firmware to
> the chip I use custom tool that does only this task. And I think it
> would be much more convenient not to reinvent the wheel and just
> implement support of the said microchip in more generic open source tool
> such as 'flashrom'. But as far as I can tell, 'flashrom' is the tool
> built with flash memory solely in mind (24bit address assumption, erase
> +write cycle, etc.). So what I would like to know if 'flashrom' ever
> aimed to implement its functionality for aforementioned kind of chips?
> Is there any point for me to try to implement said functionality in the
> code-base?
>
> Andrey Smirnov
>
> P.S. I'm not subscribed to the mailing list, please CC me in your

hi andrey,

as expected no one replied so far... and you probably wont get another
reply before after FOSDEM if at all. on the other hand this is also
positive: no one was annoyed enough after reading the subject line to
try to stop you ;)

flashrom was never intended to access EEPROMs, but on the other hand it
was not designed to talk to other programmers than PC chipsets in the
beginning either. it would be interesting to see where the problems lie
and how far you could get. i would love to see patches for this purpose
from you. but if you like to work on it i cant guarantee that it will be
merged eventually of course. if you need any help just ask on IRC.