[flashrom] directio for flashrom

Darmawan Salihun darmawan.salihun at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 19:14:03 CEST 2012

On 7/6/12, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Jernej,
>
> I saw that you sent a pciutils/libpci patch to support your Direct IO
> driver on Windows.
> flashrom is a GPL'ed utility to read/write flash chips, e.g. the one
> storing BIOS/EFI on a mainboard.
> Right now, flashrom is quite limited on Windows: It doesn't support
> anything which needs MMIO/IOPort access. While it would be possible to
> use WinIo, the WinIo license seems to be a bit odd and may be
> incompatible with the GPL. Your Direct IO driver has the advantage of
> being GPL, but it is missing a key feature needed by flashrom: Mapping
> physical memory to the application (similar to MapPhysToLin in WinIo).
> flashrom needs uncached mappings of device memory regions, and cached
> mappings of RAM regions storing DMI info. I'm not sure whether
> NtMapViewOfSection would already be enough for this purpose, or if your
> Direct IO driver would have to be extended to offer such functionality.
>
> Regards,
> Carl-Daniel

Hi Carl-Daniel,

Is there any update on the Windows driver now?

I just checked the possibility to provide memory-mapped access to the MMIO area
in Windows Vista/7 and the upcoming Windows 8.
However, I found that the programming model both in both versions are
at odd with
the memory-mapped direct access in Linux. The driver I conceived back
then works indeed,
but it's a kludge (quick hack) and have possibility to render the
system unstable.

I'll get back with more info later. But, for now I have to think over
the programming model
again and how to present it in Linux/Unix-friendly form.

Regards,

Darmawan