[flashrom] Intel DH67CL verbose log

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Nov 16 05:35:04 CET 2012

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 20:31:18 +0200
Ville Herva <vherva at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ripping the battery off for a good while helped, and I was able to upgrade
> the BIOS at POST.

usually there is also a jumper (CMOS or NVRAM reset) that does the same.

> Anyway, it would be cool to be able to flash BIOS from Linux.

that is (or was) the goal of course, but intel (and microsoft) try to
block access to the flash chip more and more to have more control over
what the user can run. they try to sell this as a security feature, but
that is only a part of it. if it would be about security only, then the
user would be in control. in the secure boot scheme on x86 machines the
user IS in control about the boot loader certificates, but this is only
out of fear of competition laws IMHO.

ATM it IS possible to flash the BIOS region, even if other regions are
locked. we just do not know if it is safe in all cases or if the
management engine interferes (as this is not documented anywhere
publicly) and hence give the warnings. in the future (i.e. starting
with the haswell family of processors) flashrom will most probably be
crippled even more on these platforms according to recently leaked
information.

so... nag intel please, not us ;)
see also
http://blogs.coreboot.org/blog/2011/08/17/gsoc-2011-flashrom-part-5-–-dear-intel/