[flashrom] flashrom ignoring ROM layout region

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Feb 6 13:29:48 CET 2013

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 14:06:21 -0800
John Gainsborough <jgindc1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> With BusPirate (v3a, firmware 5.10) and flashrom (v0.9.5.2, little endian)
> I am attempting to read a region of the flash ROM defined by a ROM layout
> file as in:
>
> flashrom -p buspirate_spi:dev=/dev/
> ttyUSB0,spispeed=200k -l romlayout -i region1 -r read file
>
> Where file romlayout contains:
>
> 003f0000:003fffff region1
>
> The flash ROM IC is correctly identified, and region1 is listed as being
> used, however flashrom then proceeds to read all ROM memory, not just the
> area defined by region1.
>
> I have run this procedure with flash ROMs:
> Eon EN25Q32 and EN25Q64. also Micronix  MX25L6445
>
> Eventually I plan to use this procedure for writing to a defined region.
>
> Any help/suggestions gratefully received.

Hello John,

sorry for the confusion. What you see is perfectly ok and expected (at
least to us, understandably not so much to the everyday user). The
reason is this: the layout and image options are only taken into account
for write operations(!) at the moment. I have created patches to use
them for all other operations too but they were not merged yet (we
really suck at merging stuff, sorry). If you can not or do not want to
extract the required data from the complete image you can take a look
at those patches: http://patchwork.coreboot.org/user/bundle/37/
They certainly won't apply to the current HEAD, but you can either use
the old source or I can rebase them to the current one if you prefer it.

Writing only a part should work though.