[flashrom] [RFC] Layout *file* handling...

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jul 11 23:10:39 CEST 2013

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 13:55:38 -0700
David Hendricks <dhendrix at google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Stefan Tauner <
> stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> > > +1. It's pretty silly to need to specify a ROM-sized file for "-w" just
> > > update a single region.
> >
> > That needs to be dealt otherwise.
>

> Darn, I was hoping to rope you into doing work for me ;-)
>
> What i meant is that you specify in
> > the layout file the image you would normally specify by -i
> > regionname:filename.
> >
> > if there is no file name in the cli, look in the layout file.
>

> So far so good.
>

> > if there
> > is none there either, use the one of the complete image (for the -w
> > case, -r would be slightly different).
> >

> So the behavior is the same as it is now? That is, the -w argument is the
> complete ROM-sized file and flashrom will use the layout info to seek to
> the correct offset in the file?

It is the same regarding the rom-sized file... because that has
absolutely nothing to do with the layout file per se. That solely
depends on the CLI which is free to prepare the image otherwise
(if that's not possible then it should be eventually). You talked about
-w (etc.) no longer requiring an argument... that's where I would put
the focus to solve the problem of requiring rom-sized images.
If I'll beat you to implement that, you will notice it ;)