[flashrom] Windows and flashrom

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jul 15 21:56:59 CEST 2013

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 20:42:31 +0000 (GMT)
CJ HUDSON <mindzeebeez at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have successfully used flashrom before and donated to the project.

Interesting... because we have never accepted donations :)

> However, I have stopped using Ubuntu because I was experimenting with overclocking and am now building a new PC and have to do a lot of restarts which was a pain with dual boot Windows/ Ubuntu.
> Hence I am now trying to get flashrom working with windows 7.
> Please can you help? I get the error message described in the attached .jpg file and cannot seem to install flashrom, despite downloading WinZip and Open Freely (http://www.winzip.com/win/en/index.htm and http://www.openfreely.com/ respectively.)
>
> Chris Hudson Esq.
>
> A non-text attachment has been stripped. Its content was:
>
> flashrom.exe - System Error
>
> The program can't start because libusb0.dll is missing from your
> computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

To me this looks like you are using the wrong dll, namely the 32 bit
version on a 64 bit windows or the other way around.
In any case... if you plan to use flashrom on windows to update the
host's firmware, forget about it... there is no implementation for that
whatsoever.