[flashrom] MS-7030 Mainboard won't program BIOS chip model other than oryginal

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Oct 18 13:42:39 CEST 2013

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 13:21:44 +0200
san <san at plusnet.pl> wrote:

> Ok, case closed.
>
> Found answer here: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=95357.0
>
> quoting:
> The difference between SST49LF004A and SST49LF004B is that the 4B version
> supports LPC / FWH Flashing, 4A version can not handle this.
>
> I knew SOMETHING about this, but thought it is not my case.

yes, very likely.

> By the way, is it possible to add bios chip information (type) to support
> list?

What do you mean exactly? The interface type is noted in the wiki table
as well as in the output of flashrom -L. For the chip in question on
that nforce2 board i think it would not make any difference anyway if
you would modify the bustype field in flashchips.c.

> And how about 'soldering' write-enable? As in last link i found there is a
> pad (#23) called "Write Enable". It might be possible to cut off this line
> from motherboard solder 'programmable voltage', and program bioses on
> not-enabled mainboards. Is that correct?

In theory that is possible, but normally the pin is connected to a
software-controlled pin (GPIO pin of the southbridge for example), and
you are way better off controlling that pin with flashrom (a
so-called board enable), than physically modifying a board.