[flashrom] SST39VF040 on 3COM 3C905C:

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Sep 30 01:34:17 CEST 2015

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 14:43:40 +0200
Xavier Bourgeois <xavier.bourgeois at insa-lyon.fr> wrote:

> The SST39VF040 is listed as untested on the flashrom supported hardware
> page.
>
> I tried it on a 3Com 3C905C (which limits to 128kbytes).
> All operations (probe, read, erase and write were done successfully for
> the first 128kbytes) [0].
>
> I attached the NIC's bootrom [1], which was resized from 64kbytes to
> 512kbytes in order to be flashed. I also attached the same image which
> has been read after the flash.
> All the first 128kbytes are identical, and the data repeats until the
> end of the file.
>
> The network card is also able to boot from this eeprom.

Hello Xavier,

thanks for your report!
I have marked the flash chip as fully tested and will commit that later
together with other small changes.
That's a *really* old version of flashrom and testing with programmers
that do not support the full address space is quite risky (often the
errors happen exactly at such boundaries). However, I decided to mark
it anyway because I don't expect any better reports coming anytime soon
(or ever) because of the age of the chip and its apparent rareness.