[flashrom] Unrecognized flash

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Mon Oct 15 10:43:37 CEST 2018

Hello Ron,

On 10/15/18 12:29 AM, Ron Knapp wrote:
> Found Generic flash chip "unknown SPI chip (RDID)" (0 kB, SPI) on linux_spi.
> Probing for Generic unknown SPI chip (REMS), 0 kB: probe_spi_rems: id1 0xf0, id2 0x7
> Found Generic flash chip "unknown SPI chip (RDID)" (0 kB, SPI).
>
> This flash part has status NOT WORKING for operations: PROBE READ ERASE WRITE
>
> The chip is  mx25L6406EZNI-12gf   which I assume
>
> would use
>
> Macronix      MX25L6406E/            PREW           8192  SPI
>

> The command that gets the generic message is
>
> sudo flashrom -r oldefi1.bin -V -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0

please see our FAQ[1]. You are running the SPI bus at an unknown (likely
much too high) clock.

> I put exactly what is listed as type and says unknown…
>
> pi at pi0w:~ $ sudo flashrom -L | grep MX25L6406E/
> Macronix      MX25L6406E/            PREW           8192  SPI

Looks like somebody put a line break into the identifiers... you'd have
to write "MX25L6406E/MX25L6408E"; it's one entry for both chips. But
that would only help if flashrom could detect the chip.

Nico

[1] https://flashrom.org/FAQ