HOWTO: Using precompiled binaries
Howto use flashrom with FreeDOS instead of Linux (because of half broken bios or any other reasons):
- Get a USB memory drive with at least 1GB of memory available (or any other memory device you can boot from)
- Download FreeDOS Image form http://downloads.joelinoff.com/fdos11.tar.bz2 (more information here: http://joelinoff.com/blog/?p=431 )
- Extract the image
- Use dd to put the image on your prefered memory device (example: dd if=/extracted/image/fdos11.img of=/dev/sdX bs=4M)
- After it have been written to the usb device, remove it once and put it back again into your computer
- Download latest precompiled flashrom from here: http://buildbot.flashrom.org/buildresults/latest-build/dos/flashrom.exe
- Copy latest precompiled flashrom dos exe to the main directory of the usb device
- Download your bios file you would like to flash and copy it to the main directory of the usb device
- Unmount the USB drive and you can now boot from it and use flashrom as described here:
To cross-compile on Linux for DOS:
- Get RPMs of the cross compiler from the DJGPP site and install them (or use any other binary or source packages suitable for your distribution). You will need:
- Download pciutils 3.1.5 and apply File:Pciutils.patch.gz (original source: http://assembler.cz/flashrom/pciutils.patch)
- Download and compile File:Libgetopt.tar.gz (original source: http://assembler.cz/flashrom/libgetopt/
- Compile pciutils, see README.DJGPP for instructions.
- Enter the flashrom directory.
- ../libpci should contain pciutils source and binaries.
- ../libgetopt should contain getopt.a from libgetopt.
- Run either (change settings where appropriate)
- make CC=i586-pc-msdosdjgpp-gcc STRIP=i586-pc-msdosdjgpp-strip
- or (above settings hardcoded)
- make djgpp-dos
- To run flashrom.exe, download and unpack File:Csdpmi7b.zip (original source: http://homer.rice.edu/~sandmann/cwsdpmi/csdpmi7b.zip, local mirror of source: File:Csdpmi7s.zip) and make sure CWSDPMI.EXE is in the current directory when running flashrom.exe.