flashrom is a utility for identifying, reading, writing, verifying and erasing flash chips. flashrom is designed to flash BIOS/EFI/coreboot/firmware/optionROM images on mainboards, network/graphics/storage controller cards, and various programmer devices.
- Supports more than 225 flash chips, 128 chipsets, 186 mainboards, 19 PCI devices, 3 USB devices and all external programmers which use the serprog protocol.
- Supports parallel, LPC, FWH and SPI flash interfaces and various chip packages (DIP32, PLCC32, DIP8, SO8/SOIC8, TSOP32, TSOP40, TSOP48, and more)
- No physical access needed, root access is sufficient.
- No bootable floppy disk, bootable CD-ROM or other media needed.
- No keyboard or monitor needed. Simply reflash remotely via SSH.
- No instant reboot needed. Reflash your chip in a running system, verify it, be happy. The new firmware will be present next time you boot.
- Crossflashing and hotflashing is possible as long as the flash chips are electrically and logically compatible (same protocol). Great for recovery.
- Scriptability. Reflash a whole pool of identical machines at the same time from the command line. It is recommended to check flashrom output and error codes.
- Speed. flashrom is often much faster than most vendor flash tools.
- Portability. Supports DOS, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, DragonFly BSD, Solaris, Mac OS X, and other Unix-like OSes. Partial Windows support is available (full support as patch).
IMPORTANT: If something went wrong during flashing, do NOT turn off/reboot your computer. Instead, let us help you recover. We can be contacted via IRC (#flashrom on irc.freenode.net) or email. Please allow for a few hours until someone responds on IRC, we're all volunteers.