Flashrom can be used to flash option roms such as ipxe or sgabios, they can respectively be flashed on network card and graphic card, but it's not mandatory: you can use any card as a carrier as long as the card is supported by flashrom and that the BIOS runs its option rom.
Howto flash sgabios on an Nvidia video card
- Servers often lack a screen.
- Some blind people also lack a way to see the startup of the computer until the braille tablet is running.
This Howto will help you transform your Nvidia video card in a something that send to a serial port what would have been displayed on the screen. The card will probably stop working as a graphic card due to the lack of VGA option rom tailored to the card.
The user is expected to see the output trough a serial console.
Here's an example on how to flash sgabios on an Nvidia video card:
- download flashrom
- apply that patch:
diff --git a/gfxnvidia.c b/gfxnvidia.c index d0a9feb..35e4687 100644 --- a/gfxnvidia.c +++ b/gfxnvidia.c @@ -110,7 +110,7 @@ int gfxnvidia_init(void) rpci_write_long(dev, 0x50, reg32); /* Write/erase doesn't work. */ - programmer_may_write = 0; + //programmer_may_write = 0; register_par_programmer(&par_programmer_gfxnvidia, BUS_PARALLEL); return 0;
- compile it
- download and build sgabios
- Identify your flash chip size by running:
- save the content of the chip with:
flashrom -pgfxnvidia -r original.rom
- pad sgabios to the size of your flashchip:
dd if=/dev/zero of=sgabios.rom bs=1 count=65536 dd if=10b79200.rom of=sgabios.rom conv=notrunc
- flash it(and retry in case of failure, it has a high failure rate)
Howto flash ipxe on an 3com network card