[flashrom] [RFC] Coding style limits

Sean Nelson audiohacked at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 00:58:38 CET 2009

On 12/15/2009 2:24 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> On 15.12.2009 21:53, Sean Nelson wrote:
>
>> On 12/14/2009 8:31 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to move the column limit from 80 to some other agreed-upon
>>> value, but I don't know which one.
>>> - 100
>>> - 120
>>> - 132
>>>

>> The reason for 80-column limit is due to historical reasons, IMO, but
>> we could go with 4-space tabs and 100-column limit. I found with that
>> setting almost everything can be fit on a line if need be. Anything
>> bigger, I think there _is_ a better way to code a problem.
>>
> I'm against replacing tabs with spaces. It increases typing effort a lot
> and that is painful especially if you reindent a big hunk of code (and
> the indent tool is unusable without manual fixups).
>
> Regards,
> Carl-Daniel

I don't know if its possible, I think vim and TextMate (the two editors
I use all the time) allows setting the style of tabs. And I've seen vim
comments for files that set the 4-column tabs. I don't really care what
we use.

I only knew that dot matrix printers and old computer terminals used the
80 columns-width. I didn't know that its a standard from the 1890s.
Thanks Ron.