[flashrom] Flashrom Issues

Joshua Roys roysjosh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 16:05:29 CEST 2010

On 08/10/2010 09:31 AM, Johnson, Je wrote:
> Helge,
>

> Unable to recover the server that was corrupted yesterday. I’ve followed
> the procedures provided by Supermicro and I’m going to have to send back
> the server to be re-flashed. During my initial testing I back leveled
> the BIOS to 1.0B and with “flashrom” I was able to move the BIOS to
> version 1.1 and it boot just fine. My second test which caused the
> corrupted state was a change in a setting of the 1.1 BIOS (to ensure if
> an maintainer makes a BIOS change I can recover by loading up the
> original settings) and a reboot which work. When I reload 1.1 with the
> original settings it finished correctly but now I’m failing to boot?
>

> Thanks again,
>
> John

Hello,

Just to double-check: you've tried the "Boot Sector Recovery from a USB
Device" in section 4.7.1 in the X8DA3 manual without success?  (That
section is a little mis-named...)  It says, "This feature allows the
user to recover a BIOS image using a USB device without additional
utilities needed."

Also, do you have any of the flashrom logs handy?  Could you get a
`lspci -nnvvvxxx' from another identical machine?  Another thing to keep
in mind for future flashrom runs is the '-V' flag, which produces
verbose output and can be useful for debugging.

Thanks,

Josh