[flashrom] Status of dediprog support?

Steven Zakulec spzakulec at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 05:29:25 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Richard A. Smith <richard at laptop.org>wrote:

> On 12/13/2010 03:20 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>
>  - Check _every_ SPI chip if it can handle the FAST READ (0x0b) command
>> and mark the ones which can't, because the Dediprog driver uses FAST
>> READ by default, and all other SPI programmer drivers use the standard
>> READ (0x03) command, so a read test for any given chip with the Dediprog
>> is useless for all other programmer drivers...
>>

> What about reversing this?  Assume all chips don't support fast read and
> then mark the ones that do.  Then people who are responsible for trying to
> use the Dediprog with a particular chip would be the ones to go through and
> change the setting for chips they are using.
>
> A list of supported chips for the SF100 is available at the dediprog site:
>
> http://www.dediprog.com/device_support.php
>
> Assuming that the dediprog really does fast read then going through that
> list setting .fast_read=1 for each chip listed is a whole lot less work than
> grovelling through the data sheet for every chip that flashrom supports.
>
> I worry that if you add a depends of full dediprog support on a complete
> chip audit then it won't happen for a long time.  Someone could run through
> the list of chips the Dediprog supports in probably an hour or so.
>
> --
> Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
> One Laptop per Child
>

> As one of the people mentioned in carldani's email, I would be interested
in helping.  I've taken a brief look at
http://www.dediprog.com/download.php?106_upload_file_5 (which is a PDF
download, that has a list of chips in it).  I took a look at the datasheet
for the AT25512, and I can't see any way to tell that this chip supports
FAST_READ.  It's probably because of my lack of datasheet reading
experience- so if someone can clue me in to what indicates that (or any
other datasheet) offers the FAST_READ capability, I would be greatly
appreciative.
Thanks!