[flashrom] Need all the help I can get

Michael Karcher flashrom at mkarcher.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 18 00:07:11 CEST 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 17.06.2010, 16:34 -0400 schrieb Mike:
> So one day I saw your website and convinced my Boss to buy
> DLP-USB1232H to try and extract some firmware. We are trying to
> extract from macronix chips in the MX25L1605 family. exact part
> numbers are 25L1605AM2C and 25L1605DM2I.
The MX25L1605 should be supported by flashrom.

>  There are other for which compatibility would be nice but I was
> wondering if you could point me in the right direction for how to
> readd from and write to these chips.
"flashrom -r target.bin" should read and
"flashrom -w newfw.bin" should write.

> Flashrom returns this - Generic unknown SPI chip (RDID)" (0 KB, SPI)
> at physical address 0x0 .
This is the typical message if flashrom detects an unknown SPI chip.

> Is there something I am doing wrong the chip is really small and hard
> to solder leads too could I be burning the chip?
You can destroy the chip if you keep soldering it too long, but it's not
that easy to destroy it.

>  the first one I did got so hot the model numbers could no longer be
> seen on it, but my second try looks pretty good.
The first one might be dead. OTOH, if you find the "Generic unknown SPI
chip (RDID)" message, the logic in the chip is not completely dead.

> I can send you samples to work on if that would help.
The output of "flashrom -V" (add the correct parameters for the USB232
programmer) would help us a lot, please attach that to a reply.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher