[flashrom] Porting flashrom to OpenBSD

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sun Jun 27 23:32:52 CEST 2010

On 26.06.2010 15:30, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> We already have a bios flasher in the ports tree (sysutils/dellflash).
> It requires special steps to be taken to use. Userland just does not
> and should not have this level of access to the system unless
> configuration changes are deliberately made. (In the case of
> dellflash, a kernel module handles access to the flash device
> which of course must be loaded before securelevel is raised).

AFAIK dellflash (well, at least the Linux equivalent) is special because
it doesn't perform any flashing, it simply loads a BIOS image into
contiguous physical memory and waits for the BIOS to do the flashing on
reboot. Due to that, you need a kernel module, and the flashing happens
outside any OS.
flashrom doesn't trust/use the BIOS to flash, and it doesn't need a
kernel module because it does the flashing itself, from userspace.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/