[flashrom] GIGABYTE - GA-8IPE1000MK - ERASE FAILED!

af at localmta.zone4web.com af at localmta.zone4web.com
Sat Mar 27 00:01:57 CET 2010

Hello,

First - Great tool - Great job - Thanks !

Please excuse my _great_ english. Atleast it should be understandable enough.

Here is my problem:
I'm trying to update the bios of GA-8IPE1000MK board from GIGABYTE.
Here is the output of flashrom which explains the problem:

-------------->
# flashrom -w pe1000mk.f14
flashrom v0.9.1-r710
No coreboot table found.
Found chipset "Intel ICH5/ICH5R", enabling flash write... OK.
This chipset supports the following protocols: Non-SPI.
Calibrating delay loop... OK.
Found chip "SST SST49LF002A/B" (256 KB, FWH) at physical address 0xfffc0000.
Flash image seems to be a legacy BIOS. Disabling checks.
Writing flash chip... ERASE FAILED at 0x00000000! Expected=0xff,
Read=0x25, failed byte count from 0x00000000-0x00003fff: 0x3fb6
ERASE FAILED!
ERASE FAILED!
ERASE FAILED!
ERASE FAILED!
FAILED!
Your flash chip is in an unknown state.
Get help on IRC at irc.freenode.net channel #flashrom or
mail flashrom at flashrom.org
DO NOT REBOOT OR POWEROFF!

<-----------------

After that I verified if flashrom actually changed something. I have a
backup of the original bios and used it for the verify procedure.
Rebooted and everything works normal with the old bios.

Here is a link to bios update:
http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/BIOS/motherboard_bios_ga-8ipe1000mk_f14.exe
The .exe file can be extracted under linux with p7zip.

I'm attaching the output of 'flashrom -V', 'lspci -nnvvvxxx', 'superiotool
-deV'

I hope this information is something to start.

Thanks for your time!