[flashrom] External programmers

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed May 5 04:53:04 CEST 2010

On 05.05.2010 04:30, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> On 05.05.2010 02:26, fritz wrote:
>
>> My problem thus far is that while I can read a chip and dump it to a
>> file, I'm unable to detect or write to a chip.  From what I can tell,
>> something doesn't jive between normal AM29F040 probing and the operation
>> of a serprog programmer.  For one thing, you need to throw certain
>> address/values at a 29F' and detect a response...while the serprog
>> protocol buffers all writes to an operation buffer.  I don't think the
>> probe routine ever 'executes' the buffer.  I've only been looking over
>> the code for maybe 2 days, so I'm far from expert on it.
>>

> serprog_chip_readb() should cause a buffer flush, and every probe
> sequence calls this function indirectly via chip_readb() to read the
> chip response.

It is also possible that one of the recent serial core patches may have
messed up serprog buffering. Can you retry with the 0.9.1 release
(r709/r710) just to be sure this is not a regression in flashrom?

> Can you post a verbose flashrom log for your programmer?
>
> By the way, if the timing in your programmer is not accurate, chip
> detection is guaranteed to fail, especially with such old flash chips.

A non-working write would also cause a failing probe.

If everything else fails, you could ask Urja Rannikko for the AVR source
code of his serprog programmer. I think it was posted to the flashrom
list some time ago, but I can't find the link right now. I've added Urja
to the CC of this mail.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--