[flashrom] Part ASD 29F2008

Michael Karcher flashrom at mkarcher.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Sat May 29 00:30:03 CEST 2010

Am Freitag, den 28.05.2010, 20:14 +0200 schrieb Néstor a.k.a. DarkMan:
> Hi,
> I tried an ASD 29F2008 part and is recognized as a Winbond W29C020C.
This is not surprising. ASD (at least at that time) sold relabeled parts
from other vendors. Maybe also 2nd source manufacturing.

> It fails at erase operation. How can I help to support the device?
It's not a problem of the flash chip, but...

> Motherboard: Shuttle AV11V30
... of the mainboard, or the BIOS code. Your flash chip has an optional
boot block protection mode. If that mode is active, programming in the
boot block and, this is what you observe, the chip erase instruction
(which would also erase the boot block) is ignored by the flash chip.
This also applies to the vendor flash tool, so please check that you
don't have flashing disabled by a jumper or a setup option.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher