[flashrom] flashrom: Can't mmap memory

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Sep 30 14:13:02 CEST 2010

On 30.09.2010 12:15, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> On 30/09/10 07:47, Pádraig Brady wrote:
>
>> On 30/09/10 00:50, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>>
>>> Mh. Could you please compare the following for both kernels?
>>>
>>> /proc/iomem
>>> The first 100 lines of dmesg
>>>
>>> I believe there should be a clue somewhere.
>>>

> Attached is dmesg and iomem from the working kernel
> (I just booted a Fedora 14 live key on the same system
>  and flashrom works fine).
>
> Nothing obvious from the iomem diff:
> (02:00.0 is the ethernet controller BTW)
>
> $ diff broken.iomem working.iomem
> [...]
>
> dmesg shows some differences in the memory maps
> but I'll need to do further investigation to
> be able to interpret these differences:
>
> $ diff broken.dmesg working.dmesg
> 3,12c3
> < Linux version 2.6.32.10-90.fc12.i686 (p4 at f12.labs.lincor.com) (gcc version 4.4.4 20100630 (Red Hat 4.4.4-10) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Fri Aug 13 11:59:33 IST 2010
> ---
>
>> Linux version 2.6.35.4-28.fc14.i686 (mockbuild at x86-19.phx2.fedoraproject.org) (gcc version 4.5.1 20100907 (Red Hat 4.5.1-3) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Wed Sep 15 02:03:44 UTC 2010

I noticed that the broken kernel is apparently some self-built kernel,
possibly with extra patches. Still, I'd like to make sure it works fine
if at all possible.

Could you add the following kernel parameters to the command line of the
broken kernel?
noexec=off nopat acpi_enforce_resources=lax highmem=0K iomem=relaxed

The character after "highmen=" is a zero. A combination of these
parameters may fix it.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--