[flashrom] Hmmm UBW?

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Tue Mar 1 10:01:59 CET 2011

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:12:37 -0600, Марко Краљевић
<krasnaya.zvezda at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 17:08, Joseph Smith <joe at settoplinux.org> wrote:
>
>> http://www.schmalzhaus.com/UBW/
>>

> This is probably pretty pokey? I was thinking of making something similar
> with an AVR. I can't seem to find much information on speed capability of
> USB CDC / ACM devices though?
> If they only support 115k or whatnot as the top end, it'll be pretty
> painful, I'd think.
>
> curious.

I was looking at some of the UBW tutorials and it appears you can set the
baudrate to pretty much what ever you want. It is set in the PIC's
"bootloader" / firmware and of course your PC (that is what you mean by
115k correct?). The PIC18 runs at 48 MHz. There is also a UBW32 project
that runs a PIC32 at 80 MHz but I am not sure if that would be a overkill
and it costs more. Any ways there are sparkfun modules for both versions
and the PIC18 chip itself only goes for around $6-7 dollars. I just think
it is really cool that the UBW was orriginally designed as a parallel
replacement for bit-banging over USB-> serial. I think it would be very
easy to add flashrom support for this device and there is enough GPIO's on
the PIC18 so you could support both LPC/FWH and SPI on the same device. I
also like how "open" Microchip is with their products :-)

Anyways I don't know alot about PIC devices but I thought I would throw it
out there that it seems like 75% of the work has already been done on the
UBW to make it a neat little cost effective external USB flashrom
programmer.

--
Thanks,
Joseph Smith