[flashrom] Flashrom report

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Nov 2 13:52:28 CET 2011

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:27:57 +0200
Piotr Czepek <piotr.czepek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Found chipset "VIA VT8601/VT8601A" with PCI ID 1106:0601.
> This chipset is marked as untested. If you are using an up-to-date version
> of flashrom please email a report to flashrom at flashrom.org including a
> verbose (-V) log. Thank you!
> Enabling flash write... OK - searching further chips.
> Found chipset "VIA VT8601T" with PCI ID 1106:8601.
> This chipset is marked as untested. If you are using an up-to-date version
> of flashrom please email a report to flashrom at flashrom.org including a
> verbose (-V) log. Thank you!
> Enabling flash write... OK - searching further chips.
> Found chipset "VIA VT8231" with PCI ID 1106:8231.
> This chipset is marked as untested. If you are using an up-to-date version
> of flashrom please email a report to flashrom at flashrom.org including a
> verbose (-V) log. Thank you!

can someone please shed some light onto this VIA stuff? i see how
this is done in source, but not why. just because we need to write one
register in the northbridge(s) to disable "byte merging"?
should i just mark all of them as tested? or should i leave the
northbridges marked as untested because we did not enter the "if (byte
merge enabled)" branch?