[flashrom] Intel H57 chipset (untested) and W25Q64 flash -V output

David Hendricks david.hendricks at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 07:44:40 CET 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Pontus Rodling <frigolit at frigolit.net>wrote:

> Hi!
> flashrom told me to send you guys this, so here it is.
>
> I'm getting a transaction error when trying to read the (fully supported
> according to the wiki) W25Q64 flash chip on a Intel H57 chipset which is
> marked as untested.
> I tried both using swseq and hwseq. Both results are attached.

Looks like the Management Engine region is totally locked (from both reads
and writes), so it will fail whenever flashrom tries to read/write in that
region;
0x5C: 0x05ff0001 (FREG2: Management Engine)
0x00001000-0x005fffff is locked

We need to do some rather ugly stuff to hack around that. I have a very
ugly hack that applies to the Chromium OS branch you can try:
# clone chromium os branch of flashrom
git clone http://git.chromium.org/chromiumos/third_party/flashrom.gitflashrom-cros
&& cd flashrom-cros

# apply patch from https://gerrit.chromium.org/gerrit/#change,12117
git pull
https://gerrit.chromium.org/gerrit/p/chromiumos/third_party/flashromrefs/changes/17/12117/1

With that patch, flashrom will fill in unreadable parts with 0xff bytes,
and will not attempt to erase/write those parts. Verbose output will show
"WD" (Write Denied) for regions that are unwriteable.