[flashrom] BPv3.6 w flashrom

Nabs ch12011-7 at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 5 06:55:19 CET 2012

Hi, sorry for the trouble. I'm running bus piratev3.6, bootloaderv4.4, firmwarev6.1 on flashrom-0.9.6.1, i plan to run the BP at 1M.

When i run the command "flashrom -p buspirate_spi:dev=/dev/ttyUSB0 -Vr oldbios.bin"
I get:
"
Found Generic flash chip "unknown SPI chip (RDID)" (0 kB, SPI) on buspirate_spi.
Probing for Generic unknown SPI chip (REMS), 0 kB: probe_spi_rems: id1 0x0, id2 0x0
Found Generic flash chip "unknown SPI chip (RDID)" (0 kB, SPI).
===
This flash part has status NOT WORKING for operations: PROBE READ ERASE WRITE
" etc...

I think i have the wiring wrong which is why i get that error, i wonder if you could help me as its my first time?
I'm trying to use In-circuit programming with a soldered bios chip using an 'SOIC 8 clip' and it has 8 wires. But the bus pirate has 10 pins.

From another thread, these are the connections i need:
Bus Pirate "MISO" (Pin 1) <----- SPI Device "DO" (Wire/Pin 2)
Bus Pirate "CS" (Pin 2) -----> SPI Device "CS" (Wire/Pin 1)
Bus Pirate "MOSI" (Pin 3) -----> SPI Device "DI" (Wire/Pin 5)
Bus Pirate "CLK" (Pin 4) -----> SPI Device "CLK" (Wire/Pin 6)
Bus Pirate "GND" (Pin 10) <----> SPI Device "GND" (Wire/Pin 4)

It appears to me that GND is pin 10 and that the wires of the SOIC8 clip only contact pins 1-8, so how can this work?

Also, could i just check the layout of the pins on the bus pirate if i'm reading it correctly on BPv3.6:
10  9
8    7
6    5
4    3
2    1

Corresponding to:
GND  3V3
+5V    ADC
VPU   AUX
CLK    MOSI
CS     MISO

Or are the pin numbers read in the opposite direction?
ie
9  10
7  8
5  6
3  4
1  2

Here's an image of my bus pirate if it helps: http://dangerousprototypes.com/wp-content/media/2012/11/Bus-Pirate-v3.6interface_01-W600.jpg

Your help is much appreciated and i appreciate your patience, Nabs.