[flashrom] [solved] ASUS M2V-MX SE: Can Winbond flash chip W39V040B (512 kB, LPC) be used?

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 10 10:49:50 CET 2012

Dear Flashrom folks,

Am Montag, den 09.01.2012, 00:52 +0100 schrieb Paul Menzel:

> I got two spare boards with socketed flash chips and hope they can be
> used also for the ASUS M2V-MX SE which is supported by coreboot [1].
>
> One board is the ASRock AM2NF6G-VSTA with a Winbond flash chip W39V040B
> (512 kB, LPC) [3].

[…]

> So the vendor flash chip is SPI but it says the chipset also supports
> LPC. Is such a socket universal so that I can use the LPC flash chip
> Winbond W39V040B?

The short answer is: “No!”.

Thanks to Idwer on #flashrom I took a look at the ASUS M2V-MX SE [4] and
had to figure out that it has a DIP8 chip [5] which is already
physically different from a PLCC32 chip [5] which the Winbond W39V040B
is. Very embarrassing.

Thanks,

Paul

[4] http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2VMX_SE/#specifications