[flashrom] Ubuntu daily builds PPA

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Mar 5 00:52:33 CET 2012

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 15:00:08 -0800
Svetoslav Trochev <svetoslav.trochev at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Stefan Tauner
> <stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> >> I found about daily PPA about couple days ago here:
> >> http://flashrom.org/Downloads. And used it to collect data from
> >> several boards. Is there plan to update the wiki page with info about
> >> the new PPA?
> >
> > jup, i have updated the wiki page before sending the "announce" mail.
> > what information do you think is missing/should be added?
> >
> > --
> > Kind regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Stefan Tauner
>
> Ok. I was a bit confused as new person to the project.
> There are 4 links: (package overview) [1], (questions) [2], (bugreports) [3]
> Let say, I am using Ubuntu 10.04LTS and I want to download and install
> latest well tested (stable) version of flashrom. I tried the first
> link and there only can see version: 0.9.1+r946-1ubuntu1.
> Next two links didn't help at all. Finally I found the
> 0.9.5.1+r1508-1-20120303~lucid1 version in daily build PPA [4]. I
> don't know how the releases are handled, but my experience is that
> most of the daily PPAs brake without any notice. This made me quite
> uncomfortable to flash M/B using daily build version. I am sure that I
> sound quite stupid right now, but I hope that we can provide a bit
> more clear picture how the binaries for Ubuntu are maintained and what
> version should be used. I hope that this small improvement will lower
> the barrier for entrance of new people and help flashrom project as
> whole.
>
> [1] http://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashrom
> [2] http://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashrom/+questions?field.status=OPEN
> [3] http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashrom/+bugs?field.status:list=NEW
> [4] http://code.launchpad.net/~flashrom-developers/+archive/flashrom-daily

thanks for the verbose explanation!
i have removed the answers and bugs links (nice idea of whoever added
them, but i don't think they are useful. ubuntu users should be able to
follow the links on the package overview page to that sections) and
i have added more detail to the PPA description and the safety of the
binaries.
lowering the barrier for new and unexperienced ubuntu users might not
necessarily help flashrom on the whole nor those users ;) if they are
unsure they should ask us first.