[flashrom] Flashrom 9.3 erarse and write error

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Oct 31 11:40:51 CET 2012

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:18:04 +0000
<pradeep.p581 at wipro.com> wrote:

> 0x54: 0x000f0000 (FREG0: Flash Descriptor)
> 0x00000000-0x0000ffff is read-only
> 0x58: 0x07ff0400 (FREG1: BIOS)
> 0x00400000-0x007fffff is read-write
> 0x5C: 0x03ff0010 (FREG2: Management Engine)
> 0x00010000-0x003fffff is locked
> 0x60: 0x00000fff (FREG3: Gigabit Ethernet)
> 0x00fff000-0x00000fff is read-write
> 0x64: 0x00000fff (FREG4: Platform Data)
> 0x00fff000-0x00000fff is read-write
> 0x74: 0x800f0000 (PR0)

the flash descriptor is active (defining FREG[0-4]) and the firmware
has set up the protected register 0. the address ranges (e.g.
0x00000000-0x0000ffff for FREG0) are the addresses of the flash chip.
so for example the first 4kB are read-only.
the pr0 does also define an address range, but it is not printed in
your version of flashrom, because it is outdated.
0x800f0000 means the first 16kB are write protected, if i am not
mistaken. you could see that directly from the output of flashrom 0.9.5
or newer.

where the firmware saves its settings depends on the firmware. most
probably somewhere in the BIOS region. you need to find that out
yourself. for example you could compare images read before and after
changing some settings in the firmware interface or you could
reverse-engineer the firmware. we can not help you with that.