[flashrom] Intel QM67 - Macronix MX25L6405 flash read problem

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Apr 18 23:34:13 CEST 2013

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 00:20:54 +0300
George Ciobanu <mrg2k8 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It's me again. I had some free time so I decided to disassemble the
> notebook and to wire it directly to the arduino, using Simon Inns'
> schematic. I didn't desolder the chip.
>
> I've hit a roadblock, though. I get this message: *Probing for Macronix
> MX25L6405(D), 8192 kB: RDID byte 0 parity violation.
> probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1 0xff, id2 0xffff*
> *
> *
> I tried patching flashrom with http://patchwork.coreboot.org/patch/3851/,
> still with no luck. I am sure the flash model is correct, because I can
> read it on the capsule.
>
> I've attached the logs, with and without the -c option.
>
> In the hope that a solution will arise,
> I thank you again.

Hello George,

the output of the chip as seen by the arduino toggles a lot between the
correct output and all high (or some corrupt bits too). This usually
indicates a cabling problem. You should not need any patches additional
to what is in our subversion repository's HEAD, just check that the
connections are good (better :).