[flashrom] Large FWH support

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Sep 15 01:45:48 CEST 2013

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 23:06:31 +0200
Kyösti Mälkki <kyosti.malkki at gmail.com> wrote:

> I came across two problems using 2 MiB FWH flash on two different boards
> with old ICH4 and ICH6 chipsets:
>
> First, ICH3/4/5 do not implement fwh_idsel= parameter. If vendor bios
> had the default map of 1 MiB, it did not even detect 2 MiB flash chips.
> For this I have patches prepared already.

Thanks for your patches. Since Carl-Daniel has been pulling a
Carl-Daniel on these again, I merged them today.

I took a look at the respective datasheets and noticed that ICH2 (and
its derivative C-ICH) do also feature those registers. I have changed
your patches accordingly before merging them.
Even ICH and ICH0 do have similar registers but only for the "first"
4MB, which I have noted in a fixme (only).

> Second, a board with ICH6 had all except one 512 kiB range of flash
> disabled by vendor bios and it would not detect 1MiB and 2MiB flash
> chips. NOTE: the board actually had 512kiB flash for these logs, but you
> can see where ther problem is.
>
> Before: (decode-disabled.txt)
> 0xfff80000/0xffb80000 FWH decode enabled
> 0xfff00000/0xffb00000 FWH decode disabled
> 0xffe80000/0xffa80000 FWH decode disabled
> 0xffe00000/0xffa00000 FWH decode disabled
> Maximum FWH chip size: 0x80000 bytes
> Probing for SST SST49LF008C, 1024 kB: Chip size 1024 kB is bigger than supported size 512 kB of chipset/board/programmer for FWH interface, probe/read/erase/write may fail. probe_82802ab: id1 0xff, id2 0xff, id1 parity violation, id1 is normal flash content, id2 is normal flash content
>

> I used the following as a work-around for ICH6, but this should be
> derived from fwh_idsel= parameter:
>   $ setpci -s 0:1f.0 0xd8.W=0xf0c0
>
> After: (decode-enabled.txt)
> 0xfff80000/0xffb80000 FWH decode enabled
> 0xfff00000/0xffb00000 FWH decode enabled
> 0xffe80000/0xffa80000 FWH decode enabled
> 0xffe00000/0xffa00000 FWH decode enabled
> Maximum FWH chip size: 0x200000 bytes

Patches welcome, and they would not bitrot over half a year this time, I
promise. ;)