[flashrom] Disabling and enabling write protection

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Wed Mar 26 00:58:09 CET 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 3:39 PM, <
BM-2cWKH3wgq8zXX9eHfba16oTc8b61ead4Yq at bitmessage.ch> wrote:

> Is there a limit to the number of times write protection can be
> disabled/enabled on a board, given that the hardware has been sufficiently
> prepped?

I don't think there is a practical limit. The flash memory itself usually
has maximum durability of 10's or 100's of thousands of erase/write cycles.
I am not entirely sure about the status register where write protect info
is stored, though.

> If I use flashrom to disable write protection on a board, then do
> nothing, then enable write protection again, there shouldn't be any reason
> I can't just disable write protection again later, correct?

Correct, assuming you do not make changes to the hardware. If /WP is
asserted when the write-protect enable bit is set in the status register,
then write-protection will be re-enabled. Then you will need to de-assert
/WP before clearing the enable bit.

--
David Hendricks (dhendrix)
Systems Software Engineer, Google Inc.