[flashrom] Programming using an arduino nano 3.3v

Goffredo Baroncelli kreijack at inwind.it
Wed Sep 17 19:52:31 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I would like to share my experience in programming a flash-chip
using an arduino nano 3.3v. I was unable to update the wiki
because I don't have an account. I hope that posting that
could help someone.

I had to reprogramming an adsl modem. This modem have a 128mbit
flash chip. Someone identify this as Macronix MX25L12835E (on
another modem of the same type),
but to me the code seems to start with FL129PIF; but I am
not sure because the name was poor readable.

Anyway I set the chip as "S25FL128P......0". The only thing is
that flash rom first tried the "erase function 0.." then
"erase function 1.." with success.

I used flashrom and serprog-duino. But I had to tweaked the
serprog-duino source to lower the speed to 115200. In fact I was
unable to read the flash with the arduino USB
interface [1]; I had to use an external power supply for the arduino
board and the flash chip; a 3.3v usb serial adapter was used to
connect the PC and the arduino board.
I was able to use the same schematic included in serprog-duino.

The process was a bit slow (30 minutes to download the image, ~1h
to upload it), but at the end it was a successful activity.

I want to say thank to everybody contributed to this project.

BR
G.Baroncelli

[*] Flashrom never finished. Strac-ing under linux flashrom,
the program stopped at a read(2). So I am inclined to think that
it was a usb driver/devices problem....

P.S.
I am not a subscriber, so if you want to reply, please put me in CC.
--
gpg @keyserver.linux.it: Goffredo Baroncelli (kreijackATinwind.it>
Key fingerprint BBF5 1610 0B64 DAC6 5F7D  17B2 0EDA 9B37 8B82 E0B5